If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I do find it tempting to tamper with this dish everytime I make it. It seems illogical that simply adding a mixture of vegetables to water would produce such a rich and soul fulfilling dish but there it is. This soup is an excellent way of cleaning out the fridge at the end of the week or using up excess vegetables from another dish. The vegetable combination can be varied but the more variety the better. Be careful not to add cabbage or anything in the cabbage family and then overcook it as it will become sulphurous. The number of servings can easily be altered by maintaining the ratio of 3 parts vegetable to 4 parts water by weight and adding 30 gms of pasta per person. —woo wei-duan
- 1.25 liters water
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small onion or ½ medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, rinsed, ends removed, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celerystalks, rinsed, ends removed and finely chopped
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley, rinsed, dried, leaves removed and finely chopped
- 1 kilo vegetables, trimmed and cubed 1 cm dice: zucchini, peas, green beans, cabbage, chard, pumpkin, aubergine(peeled) and broad beans
- 2 small tomatoes
- 100 milliliters extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Parmigiano-Reggiano rind
- Coarse sea salt
- 150 grams cannellini or borlotti beans, raw, tinned or cooked
- 120 grams ditalini, broken spaghetti, broken lasagne, brokentagliatelle or macaroni
- 25 grams pesto
- Bring the water to a boil and add the beans and all the vegetables except the cabbage. Cover the pot and when the water begins to boil, cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add 100 mls extra-virgin olive oil, the parmigiano-reggiano rind and coarse sea salt. Cook for 5 minutes. Use a fork to mash up the vegetables a bit to make the soup slightly chunky.
- Add the pasta and cabbage. Cook for another 10 minutes or the cooking time indicated on the pasta packaging. Adjust the seasonings and ladle into serving bowls. Place a small spoonful of pesto into each bowl and stir in. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over top. Serve.
- NOTES Vorwerk Thermomix Bimby instructions: Place the onions, carrots, garlic and parsley into the mixing bowl and chop 8 sec/speed 7. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with the spatula. Remove from the bowl and set aside. Add the water and cook 10 min/100C/Speed 1 Add all the vegetables (except the cabbage) and onion and carrot mixture to the water. Cook for 10 min/100C/reverse speed 1. Chop 6 sec/speed 4. Add the salt, Parmesan rind and olive oil. 5 min/100C/reverse speed 1. Add the pasta and cabbage and cook 10 min/100C/reverse speed 1. Serve with the pesto and olive oil.