If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You may think that the shrimp mayo takes the lead role in this sandwich, but used sparingly it pairs beautifully with the smoky sweet crab. (By the way, the shrimp mayo is so good I'll use it on just about anything: potato salad, turkey sandwich, as a dip for coconut shrimp, name it.) —Hi, I'm Brian.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bayleaf
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon celery, finely chopped
- 4 large shrimp, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add bay leaf, salt, mustard, cayenne, black pepper, basil, and thyme. Heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add shallot and celery and sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add shrimp, reduce heat to low, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cool about 15 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender, process the egg for about 30 seconds. Add the shrimp mixture and blend for another few seconds more.
- With the motor running, gradually add the oil in a steady stream to emulsify.
- Stir in lemon juice and white wine vinegar.
Grilled Soft Shelled Crab
- 6 soft shelled crab
- salt and pepper
- 6 buns
- Thoroughly clean the soft shelled crab. Using kitchen shears, cut off the front of the crab, about 1/2 inch behind the eyes and mouth. Squeeze out the contents of the sack located directly behind the cut just made.
- Season the crab with salt and pepper.
- I'm partial to a charcoal grill because it adds a smokiness I find pretty essential to summer, but gas will work just fine. Prepare your grill and grill the crab for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the crab from the grill and toast the buns. Put the crab on the bun and add a tablespoon of shrimp mayo and some arugula.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Barbecued Meat