Author Notes: Creamy, mashed hakurei turnips with chèvre served with rich radish greens and caramelized leeks. —Vicky | Things I Made Today
pounds Small to medium sized Hakurei turnips with greens, turnips cleaned and greens coarsely chopped
Spring garlics (or 4 garlic cloves), chopped
Leeks, green parts removed, split lengthwise then chopped
ounces Goat cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
In This Recipe
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to boil. Add turnips and cook for 25-30 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt 1½ tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add garlic and leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to brown, about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan, melt remaining ½ tablespoon butter. Add turnip greens and cook until they wilt, 2-4 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When turnips are soft, drain water and mash until no large chunks remain. Alternatively, you can pulse a couple times in a food processor. Stir in goat cheese and mix until well integrated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To plate, place greens down first, top with mashed turnips and then leeks.