If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is dense and rich and delicious for summer. Top it off with fresh strawberries and you have a perfect dessert, afternoon treat or even birthday cake. It is gluten-free and vegan. —ida hemmingsson-holl
The thin first layer
- 3/4 cup dates (stone-free), soaked for a few minutes in hot water to soften (then remove soaking water thoroughly)
- 1 cup mixed nuts, e.g. hazel nuts, brazil nuts and almonds
- 2 tablespoons non dairy milk, e.g. almond or soy
The thick creamy second layer
- 1 cup cashew nuts, soaked in water for minimum two hours, or do a quick soak in hot water for 10/20 minutes (as long as possible)
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1 lime, juice and pulp
- 1 perfectly ripe, medium sized avocado
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, more to garnish
- 2-3 cups fresh strawberries, to garnish
- First of all, make sure to soak the cashew nuts for the second layer and the dates for the first layer.
- Then make the first layer; place the mixed nuts in the blender and run until you have grainy nut flour. Add the soaked dates (not the soaking water), and soy/almond milk and blend for another few minutes. You might need to stop the blender once or twice and scrape down the sides. When you have a fully blended sticky dough, remove it and press it out in a spring form pan (or whatever cake tin you have at home). Place in the freezer while making the second layer.
- Melt the coconut oil on low heat in a pot and remove the soaking water from the cashew nuts. Place both in a blender together with the agave, the lime juice/pulp and the avocado. Blend on full speed for a few minutes until you have a completely smooth cream. Then remove from the blender, and add the shredded coconut. Give it a good stir before pouring it into the cake tin to cover the first layer. Spread it out as evenly as possible before putting it back in the freezer for at least a couple of hours.
- Before serving, garnish with the fresh strawberries (whole or sliced) and a little more shredded coconut.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert