Author Notes: My take on a frozen crackerjack. Fresh summer corn is ideal, but frozen kernels will work just as well. —iamdebbielee
milliliters heavy cream, divided equally
cups fresh corn kernels (from approximately 4 large cobs)
cup peanuts, toasted and chopped
cup heavy cream
teaspoon sea salt
In This Recipe
- Whip 100 mL of heavy cream to soft peaks. Keep chilled until step 6.
- In a blender, combine remaining 100 mL of cream with corn kernels. Puree until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, extracting as much liquid as possible. Discard any solids.
- Place 6 yolks in the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Place sugar in a small saucepan and slowly add the water. (Careful not to swirl the pan or get sugar on the sides of the pot, as this will cause crystallization.) Cook over medium heat, using a candy thermometer to test temperature.
- When syrup reaches 230F, begin whipping egg yolks on high. When syrup reaches 240F (soft ball stage), remove from heat and pour syrup into the whisking yolks in a steady stream. Caution: avoid pouring in direct contact of the whisk attachment. Continue beating until yolks are cooled and a thick ribbon-like consistency is achieved.
- Remove bowl from mixer and fold in whipped cream, followed by corn puree. Divide into 4 ramekins or one mini loaf tin and freeze until solid.
- Remove molds from freezer. Carefully, run a small knife or spatula around the sides of the mold to release. Invert onto plate and serve with caramel cream and chopped toasted peanuts.
- For the caramel cream: Add sugar and water to small saucepan and cook over medium heat until syrup turns to a golden caramel. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and slowly add the cream. Return to medium heat and continue cooking, stirring until smooth.
- Carefully strain caramel into a heat proof glass bowl. Add salt and stir. Chill.
- Once cold, whip to soft peaks. Serve dolloped over semifreddo.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert