If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This pizza is a piquant combination of savory and sweet: the watermelon’s sweetness balances the feta and prosciutto flavors, and the crispiness of the flatbread makes a crunchy, textured base. —America's Table
Makes four 8-inch individual pizzas
- 1 pound pre-made pizza dough
- 8 ounces watermelon, seeded and cut into 1 ½-inch thick pieces
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 ounces prosciutto, pulled into small pieces
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- Divide premade dough into four pieces. Roll out dough onto lightly-floured surface to an 8-inch diameter. Brush top of flatbread dough with olive oil. Turn oil-brushed side of flatbreads onto the grill and cook 5 minutes, or until crisp. Brush tops of flatbread with olive oil and flip, grilling the other sides for five minutes. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Cut watermelon into slices, sprinkle with salt and allow sides to drain in a colander for half an hour. Rinse each piece in cold water and pat dry on both sides with paper towel. Brush with olive oil and grill watermelon on high heat for 3 minutes on each side, or until grill marks form.
- For the toppings: Mix a little olive oil with the baby arugula and mound lightly on flatbreads. Add crumbled feta, small pieces of prosciutto and grilled watermelon that has been cut into healthy chunks. Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette, and return pizzas to grill for several minutes to reheat (you want the flatbread to be well crisped). Remove from grill and serve.
- Proportions are the key to making this delicious flatbread pizza: you don’t want to put too much prosciutto on the pizza (it’s salty!), and the watermelon takes on a meatier texture and a lighter flavor after it’s cooked, so the pizza needs to be loaded up with watermelon to achieve the perfect melding of watermelon, feta, balsamic vinaigrette, and prosciutto.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Melon