If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This granola sneaks in healthy super foods like flaxseeds and chia seeds, but disguises them with super delicious foods like butter, brown sugar and Bourbon. It's a favorite in our house as a hearty breakfast or feel-good snack. —Kiera Stipovich
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup mixed nuts (sliced almonds and chopped hazelnuts)
- 1/2 cup dried peaches, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds, coarsely ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- Preheat the oven to 325° [165°C].
- In a large bowl, toss together the rolled oats, nuts, dried peaches, coconut, flaxseeds, and chia seeds.
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, add butter, brown sugar, bourbon, vanilla extract, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon. Stir until all ingredients are well combined and mixture is completely smooth.
- Pour warm butter and sugar mixture over dry ingredients and stir until evenly coated.
- Beat egg white until frothy. Gently stir into mixture then spread onto a sheet pan or large baking pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and dry to the touch. Turn oven off, crack open the oven door, and let granola cool completely inside the oven for a couple of hours.
- Transfer to an airtight container, breaking granola up a little but leaving some good sized clusters intact. Store at room temperature for up 2 weeks (or for several weeks in the freezer)!