If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Farro in Italy usually refers to emmer wheat but can also be spelt or einkorn depending which part of Italy you are in. To make this recipe I usually buy pre-cooked emmer wheat or spelt but the pearled versions of these grains usually take 12-20 minutes to boil. Pearl barley is also a good substitute. The chewy grains of farro contrast nicely with the pan-fried summer squash and the earthy pecorino. Other vegetables such as asparagus, peas or broad beans could be used to substitute the zucchini. If you do have to cook the farro, it can be done the night before when it is cooler and tossed when cool the next day with the zucchini. Add the pecorino just before serving. —woo wei-duan
- 200 grams Farro - typically emmer wheat (can substitute spelt or pearl barley)
- 2 cloves garlic, bruised (or finely choped if you like garlic)
- 500 grams zucchini, rinsed, ends removed and cut into 1 cm pieces 1/2 cm thick
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram (can substitute 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint)
- Pecorino Cheese, shaved
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 70 milliliters extra-virgin olive oil
- Follow the instructions on the package for preparing the farro. The untreated farro needs to be soaked overnight and cooked in salted water with a garlic clove for 40 minutes. Pearled farro does not need to be soaked and cook in 12 minutes, so check the package. Follow the instructions on the package to cook the farro.
- When the farro is cooked, drain and let it cool.
- Meanwhile fry the garlic in a frying pan with 30 mls of olive oil and salt.
- When the garlic is fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes, add the zucchini and marjoram.
- Fry, stirring occasionally until the zucchini is cooked to taste (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and allow the zucchini to cool.
- Toss the zucchini and farro together with the pecorino cheese, lemon juice and remaining 40 mls olive oil. Add seasoning to taste and serve.