If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A creamy, pucker-inducing dressing that's made in the blender with the flesh of a lime unites the flavors of smoky charred corn, tangy quick-pickled onions, and sweet nectarines in this delicious (and unusual) summer salad. —Elizabeth Stark
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste, divided
- 6 allspice berries
- 10 peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large red onion, ends trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices
- 2 ears sweet corn
- 2 limes, peel and pith cut off and discarded, quartered
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed, peeled, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 to 3 nectarines, pits removed, and sliced thin
- To prepare quick-pickled onions, combine apple cider vinegar, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, allspice, peppercorns, and red pepper flakes in a small saucepan. Set over medium-high heat. When mixture starts to steam and sugar has dissolved, add sliced onions, pressing a bit to make sure all slices are immersed. Steep in the brine for 10 minutes. If working ahead, place onions and brine in a wide mouth jar, cool to room temperature, then seal and refrigerate. (If you don't have time to make ahead, they'll still be delicious.)
- Fill a sink with cold water and soak the corn, husks and all. (This step isn't absolutely necessary, but it helps to plump the kernels.)
- Prepare a hot grill.
- Shuck corn and set over hot coals. Cook each ear until nicely charred, rotating a quarter turn every 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside to cool, then slice kernels from the cob and sprinkle with sea salt.
- To prepare dressing, combine the lime, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, and sherry vinegar in the pitcher of a blender. Pulse to break down limes, scrape the sides, then turn blender to low. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Add a pinch or two of sea salt, as needed.
- Toss lettuce with several tablespoons dressing and arrange in a large serving bowl. Scatter over the quick-pickled onions and nectarine slices. Top off with corn kernels and a generous drizzle of lime dressing, and toss gently. Finish with several twists of black pepper and a pinch of sea salt. Serve immediately.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!