Author Notes: Cut the fat, but keep the decadence! This healthy, lightened-up rendition of Sunshine Salad is summer picnic perfection! —Rachel (Simple Seasonal)
cup 2% Greek yogurt
tablespoon apple cider vinegar
tablespoon minced red onion
black pepper to taste
cups chard cut into ribbons
cups spiralized carrots
tablespoons roasted sunflower seeds plus more for garnish
cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
In This Recipe
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients, and once smooth and creamy, stir in the raisins so that they have time to plump up while you prepare the rest of your salad.
- Cut 1 1/2 cups of chard into ribbons (I used rainbow chard). To cut into ribbons, cut lengthwise along the stem, cutting the leaf into long, 1/4 inch thick strips.
- Spiralize your carrots using a spirializer on the second to smallest setting. If you don't have a spiralizer, you can still make this recipe by cutting your carrots into match sticks using a mandolin, or you can grate them. You just won't have as noodley of a texture!
- Add the chard ribbons, spiralized carrots, and sunflower seeds to the bowl with the dressing and gently stir to coat all of the veggies with dressing.
- Using a box grater, finely shred your cheddar cheese. Take care not to pack your cheese together because it will stick to itself, ruining your shreds. Sprinkle the cheese onto your salad while folding it in to evenly combine.
- Serve this salad chilled and feel free to garnish by sprinkling on a few extra sesame seeds!