If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Served warm or chilled, this mellow soup makes the most of autumn’s bounty. It’s also vegetarian and free of common allergens – including peanuts, tree nuts (except for coconut*), milk, egg, seafood, soy, and wheat. It does contain coconut milk, which some people with allergies should avoid. If coconut is a no-no in your family, use unsweetened rice milk or extra broth instead! Don’t forget to read the labels of all packaged ingredients, and avoid products that list your allergens in the ingredient list or “may contain” warnings. This recipe was written by the Healthline Editorial Team: http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/allergy-friendly-butternut-squash-and-broccoli-soup —Healthline
- low-fat vegetable cooking spray
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced (about 1 Tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (e.g. sambal oilek)
- 4 cups diced butternut squash
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- 6 lime wedges
- Spray a large pot or Dutch oven with low-fat cooking spray. Place it over medium heat.
- When it is hot, add the bay leaves and onions and cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic, ginger, and chili paste and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add the squash, broccoli, and vegetable broth. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot, and simmer the soup until the vegetables are tender (about 20 minutes).
- Remove the bay leaves and allow the soup to cool slightly. Move it to an upright blender – or use an immersion blender in the pot – and process the soup until smooth. If it has cooled too much, return the soup to the stove and heat until warm.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Serve with wedges of lime on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Family's Best Thanksgiving Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut