- Serves 4
I adore goat cheese. On salad, in pasta, in tarts, even in desserts, it is such an amazing cheese. This recipe is adapted from a Terrence Brennan recipe who is such a master with all kinds of cheese (and is one of my favorite chefs!). He makes this with pasta which is equally amazing. It is like mac and cheese but better - and that is coming from someone who loves loves loves mac and cheese! The tomatoes poached in olive oil are so flavorful and bring a freshness to the dish. The basil is perfect with tomatoes and the addition of goat cheese makes the dish luxuriously creamy. Enjoy! —Plum Pie
- Tomato Confit
plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into quarters
garlic cloves, minced
chicken stock (approx)
arborio rice (or 8 oz. orzo pasta)
garlic clove, minced
dry white wine
fresh goat cheese
finely shredded basil leaves
- Boil water in a medium saucepan. Score the bottom of each tomato. When water begins to boil, place plum tomatoes into water and boil and skin starts to come off (about 30 seconds).
- Remove tomatoes with slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water. Let cool.
- Peel tomato the cut half. Remove seeds and juice. Cut each half in half so that each tomato is cut in quarters.
- In a medium saucepan, combine all remaining ingredients and then all of the quartered tomatoes. Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Turn down heat and cook until tomatoes have cooked down and are soft, about 20-30 minutes. Remove tomatoes from mixture (either with a slotted spoon or drain with a colander). Set aside to cool slightly.
- Keep oil for another use.
- Simmer chicken stock in a medium saucepan. Heat 2 T. olive oil in a heavy pan.
- Add chopped onions. Cook until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add arborio rice (or orzo if you decide to use pasta) and cook for 1 minute. Add chopped garlic and cook for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Stir white wine into rice mixture. Cook, stirring, until wine is just absorbed.
- Begin adding 1/2 cup of chicken stock to risotto. Cook until the chicken broth is just absorbed stirring the rice. Once broth is absorbed add another 1/2 cup.
- Cook until rice is soft and creamy.
- Chop tomato mixture. Add tomatoes, goat cheese, parmesan cheese, and basil to risotto. Season to taste and garnish with more basil and freshly grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- Note: If using risotto or other small-cut pasta, I up the goat cheese to 4 oz. It seems like a lot but makes the risotto style pasta creamy and delicious.