Buttery baked goods – so not vegan, and perhaps they aren’t an everyday food item, but oh what an indulgence! With the help of great vegan butter substitute products, we can have our croissant and eat it too! These vegan croissants are just as buttery, layer-y and flaky as the original. For step-by-step instructions in photos, go to: http://boardsandknives.com/vegan-croissants/ —Michelle Lee
- Makes 6-8 croissants
2 1/4 cups
sticks (or 1/2 lb.) vegan butter, cubed and chilled
2 1/4 teaspoons
active dry yeast
- Eggless egg wash:
- In a small saucepan, heat the almond milk over medium heat until it is just over body temperature - this should only take a few minutes, check the temperature with your finger.
- Remove the milk from the heat and add the sugar and yeast. Stir to combine and set aside until foamy, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the cubed vegan butter, salt and flour in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture resembles small crumbs.
- Combine the flour/butter mixture and the yeast mixture in a bowl and fold until the dough just comes together, being careful to not over-mix.
- Transfer the dough to a sheet of plastic wrap, press the dough together, wrap and chill in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Roll the chilled dough out on a lightly floured surface, about ½ centimeter thick. The dough may crack a little, this is ok.
- Fold the right and left sides of the dough toward the center and then the top and bottom sides in.
- Flip the dough over so the seam side is down, cover and chill in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Repeat steps 6-8 three times.
- Roll the dough out for a final time, and cut the dough into long triangles – six triangles make large croissants, cut smaller for smaller croissants.
- Gently roll each triangle, starting at the wide end, and roll toward the small end. Allow the croissants to rise until doubled at room temperature, covered loosely with plastic wrap on parchment-lined baking sheets, 1 to 2 hours (depending on your room temperature).
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine all the eggless egg wash ingredients in a small bowl and brush the croissants with the wash.
- Bake the croissants for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow the croissants to cool completely on wire racks before serving.