If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Delicious, smooth and creamy chilled corn soup. Perfect for those hot summer days and a great way to use fresh sweet corn. BONUS- no heavy cream! I found this recipe on the Wild Greens and Sardines food blog (recipe cred below), and it was just so delicious I wanted to post this for everyone to see! I ended up making my own veggie stock with the ears of corn and veggies on hand per recipe suggestion.
100% Recipe Cred: Wild Greens and Sardines
For the soup
- 3 tablespoons butter and/or olive oil
- 1 leek, cleaned well and chopped
- 2 small shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 6 ears of sweet corn (about 5 cups, plus extra for garnish)
- 4 cups vegetable stock (more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- squeeze of lime
- cherry tomatoes, quartered
- corn kernals, raw
- jalapeno, minced
- basil leaves
- smoked mussels (or smoked fish, such as hot smoked salmon)
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the butter/olive oil in a soup pot. Add the leek, shallot, and garlic and saute until softened, but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the corn, season with salt (~ 1 teaspoon) and pepper, and cook 6-8 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add the stock and simmer another 6-8 minutes until the corn is soft.
- Transfer to a high speed blender. Add a squeeze of lime. Blend until very smooth. Taste and re-season, adding more salt or lime juice.
- Let cool. Chill in the refrigerator. Once you are ready to serve, re-blend, adding more stock if needed.
- Serve with with some or all of the suggested garnishes.