Author Notes: Beef Brisket with Daikon and Leek in Clear Broth —Oh Sweet Day!
Serves: 6 to 8
pounds beef brisket
grams rock sugar
pound daikon, peeled and cut into pieces
pound leek, rinsed and sliced
cup chopped green onion
- Boil the beef brisket for 10 minutes. Rinse it under cold water and drain it well.
- In a large pot, put in star anise, ginger, bay leaves, rock sugar, salt and water. Cover and bring it to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, add beef and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, until beef is tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Leave the pot in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight to let the beef fat solidify.
- Transfer the beef to a cutting board, and cut into chunks.
- Remove the fat from the broth with a big spoon.
- Heat up the clear broth with the daikon. Keep cooking over medium heat until the daikon is soften, about 20 minutes.
- Add leek and beef , and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with fresh green onion.