If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: the food world has embraced the spanish tortilla. because it's easy to make (once you nail the flip), satisfying, stores well and an overall crowd-pleaser. But sometimes, you're not in the mood for all those taters. Instead, you're craving something lighter. Something that puts to good use those summery vegetables while they're in season. Your solution is this recipe for Spanish tortilla with zucchini. —Caitlin Gunther Raux
large zucchini (or 1 whole small)
white Spanish onion
X large eggs
clove garlic, chopped
tablespoons olive oil
crunchy salt to taste
extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Peel zucchini, leaving behind a little bit of the dark green outer skin. Slice width-wise into 1/4 inch slices
- Coarsely chop onion.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to large pan over low heat. When pan is hot, add onion, a pinch or two of salt, and let cook, stirring occasionally. (Don't let the onions brown.) When onions are translucent, add zucchini and another pinch or two of salt.
- While veggies are cooking, beat eggs in a large bowl. Taste an onion to test for salt. Add a pinch or two more if necessary. Keep in mind that the egg that will later be added will dilute the saltiness and you won't be adding salt to your finished tortilla. Add garlic and stir.
- When onions and zucchini are golden and cooked al dente, remove pan from heat. Let cool for a couple minutes then pour the mixture into your beaten eggs. Give the whole mixture a stir.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to your pan, now over medium heat. Once hot, pour mixture into pan and with a spatula and spread evenly. Push the sides of the mixture down around the edges of the pan once so that some of the excess uncooked egg reaches the bottom.
- When bottom of the tortilla is set and the top is just a bit wet, put a plate over top of pan (being extra careful not to burn yourself) flip pan and tortilla onto plate, then slide the tortilla back into the pan. In short: flip the tortilla.
- Cook 30 seconds or until egg is set to your liking. Transfer to plate and serve immediately, or let cool, refrigerate and serve later. Finish with a drizzle of EVOO and crunchy salt. Optional side: homemade mayo or aioli
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash