Author Notes: Keep leftovers from this party fave in your fridge overnight; just pop the dish back into the oven to re-soften the cheese the next day. —Kendra Vaculin
Makes: 1 block of feta
cup tomato sauce, homemade or store-bought (a teeny amount! so the cheese doesn’t stick to the bottom! a perfect use for leftovers or the dregs of the jar)
ounces block of feta cheese, drained
cup pitted and chopped Kalamata olives
cups halved cherry tomatoes
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon dried oregano
tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
a few turns fresh ground pepper
toast, crackers, pita, and/or a spoon for eating
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Pour tomato sauce into the bottom of a small baking dish (I used a 6–inch round). Place the feta in the center and press to slightly break the block apart. This is a rough-crumbly-spreading situation, not a make-a-clean-cheese-layer situation.
- In a medium bowl, mix olives, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, parsley, and pepper. Dump the mixture evenly over the cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Your kitchen will smell like pizza and the feta will be warm and spreadable.
- Serve to guests with toast or crackers, or stuff into a pita pocket with a fried egg and some fresh spinach for a meal for yourself.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!