If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Invariably, someone you know will give you a baseball bat-sized squash every summer, or you will purchase summer squash only to find a box of zucchinis on your doorstep the very same afternoon. Using up squash is the primary goal of many a kitchen each summer season. This recipe goes well over pasta, gnocchi, spätzle, or even white beans. Even my husband who strongly dislikes squash will eat a bowl full of this. —KaffeeAndKuchen
Food52 Review: This is yet another example of a recipe that does not have to be complicated to be brilliant! I was fortunate to have just made some gnocchi, so this dish took less than 30 minutes from prep to table. So few ingredients, but so very light and tasty! The hint of freshly ground nutmeg is also a great addition. No question what to do with an abundance of squash; make this dish! —Chef Lisa
2 to 3
medium zucchini or summer squash
tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
large yellow onion, chopped
large cloves garlic, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
dash nutmeg, or to taste
pound Pasta or gnocchi
Parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. While it comes up to temperature, grate the zucchini using the large holes on a box grater.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt butter into the olive oil. Add onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the grated squash and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Sauté until soft, and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Add a dash of ground nutmeg to taste.
- As the squash mixture cooks, cook the pasta or gnocchi to al dente, then use a slotted spoon to scoop it from the water directly into the sauté pan with the squash. Cook for another minute or so in the pan, then serve. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese or with a splash of good olive oil.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Zucchini or Summer Squash