If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Chutney made with tart ground cherries and sweet plums is on smokey gouda and crunchy arugula in this grilled cheese for all ages. —Vicky | Things I Made Today
For the chutney:
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- 1 Medium shallot, minced
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 5 ounces About 1 cup, husked ground cherries, halved
- 2 Medium plums, pitted and coarsely chopped
- Heat canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic, and ginger and cook until aromatic, about 3 minutes. Add in coriander, cinnamon, and salt and mix well for 30 seconds. Stir in agave, vinegar, and water. Add in ground cherries and plums and bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and let chutney reduce, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes.
- Once chutney has thickened, transfer to a jar or small bowl and let cool slightly.
For the sandwich:
- 4 tablespoons Butter, room temperature
- 8 Slices whole wheat bread
- 2 cups Gouda cheese, shredded
- handful of arugula
- Butter each piece of bread on one side (about ½ a tablespoon per slice). Place one piece of bread, buttered side down, in a small skillet. Top bread with chutney, about ½ a cup of Gouda, a little bit of arugula, and another piece of bread (buttered side up). Turn heat on medium and press down with a spatula. Cook until bread has started to brown and cheese is melty. Flip and repeat on other side. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- If you have chutney left over, use it to top pork, chicken, or other sandwiches.