Author Notes: Here, Thai iced tea is deconstructed and made into an exotic and refreshing dessert: strong, spicy tea granita—a tad bitter—with super-rich sweet milk. Really simple; really good. —Alice Medrich
cup Thai tea leaves
cup sweetened condensed milk
cup whole milk
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Remove from the heat, stir in the tea leaves, cover, and let steep for 7 minutes.
- Pour the tea through a coffee filter or a sieve lined with a double layer of paper towels. Discard the tea leaves. Stir the sugar into the tea until dissolved. Pour the tea into a shallow pan and put it in the freezer until almost completely frozen, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Use a fork to scrape and break the mixture into shards or crystals. Return the pan to the freezer to freeze completely.
- Meanwhile, mix the condensed milk with the whole milk. Chill in the refrigerator.
- When the granita is frozen, scrape and toss it one more time with the fork. Keep frozen until serving.
- To serve, divide the milk mixture among six glasses and top with the tea granita.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!