If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A bright addition to a mezze platter, a salad with color and flavor harmony with a zest of shallot and white balsamic vinegar. —Elizabeth Wadham
Shallot & White Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 medium shallots
- 2 teaspoons light honey
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
Golden Beets & Oranges
- 2-4 medium or small golden beets
- 2 navel oranges
- 1 bunch watercress, large stems removed
- To make the vinaigrette, whiz the shallot, salt, pepper and honey in a mini-cuisinart. Add the vinegar and process, then add the canola oil.
- Roast the beets, wrapped in foil, in a 400 degree oven for 35-40 minutes until easily pierced. Let cool just long enough to handle, when you can slip off their skins and reveal the gold inside. Slice into segments.
- Supreme the oranges. Using a sharp knife peel off the skin, then slice each segment out and away from pith.
- Toss cooled beets and supremed oranges with the vinaigrette. This will keep, refrigerated, 3 days. when serving, toss a little vinaigrette with the watercress and mound the beets and oranges on top. Optional: sprinkle with toasted and chopped hazelnuts and crumbled goat cheese for a heartier salad.