If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My apple butternut squash soup gains its silky texture from a heaping half cup of cashews- making it both delicious and vegan-friendly. This soup tastes like fall in a bowl thanks to the gala apples and butternut squash and the addition of herds like sage and thyme. A pot of this soup on the stove will make your whole house smell like thanksgiving. I like to serve it with apple grilled cheese for a perfect autumn lunch. —Robyn Caron
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 3 Gala Apples
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth (or more if your soup is too thick)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2-3 Fresh Sage Leaves
- 1/2 cup Cashew Nuts
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Prep all of your ingredients: peel and chop the butternut squash into about half-inch cubes; peel, remove the core and chop the apples into similarly sized cubes; chop the onion and smash the garlic cloves
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pan over low heat, cook the onions and garlic until the onions become soft (about 8 minutes)
- Add the butternut squash, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally to make sure nothing burns for about 10 more minutes
- Add the apples, thyme, sage and cashew nuts and cook for about another five minutes (I left the sprigs and leaves whole, before pureeing the soup I removed the bay leaf and thyme stems, the sage leaves can be pureed into the soup)
- Add the stock and cook until the butternut squash and apples are tender
- After removing the bay leaf and thyme stems, puree the soup using an immersion blender until it is creamy (this will take longer than just getting all the lumps blended, make sure the nuts are broken down very very finely)
- Add more stock if your soup is too thick, taste for salt and pepper, serve while hot and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe