If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soba noodle soup provides the umami-rich kick you crave without the guilt. It can handle whatever combination of veggies you’re craving or have in the fridge. And, once you have a few basic “specialty items” for the broth on hand – miso paste, soba noodles, soy sauce, and instant dashi – it’s something you can easily whip up anytime after a quick run through the produce aisle. If you can’t find the instant dashi or soba in a typical market, it’s worth taking a walk over to your nearest Asian market. Note: Water and instant dashi can be substituted with vegetable stock. —HalfKiwi
Serves 2 hungry people
- 1 bunch Scallion, white and light green parts thinly sliced, green stalks reserved
- 1 bunch Baby bok choy, thinly sliced (or any desired green such as spinach, chard or cabbage)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, smashed
- 2 Inches Ginger, peeled and sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- 6 Inch piece of Lemongrass, cut vertically and sliced
- 2-3 Carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 Package Enoki mushrooms, roots removed and chopped in half
- 1/2 teaspoon Instant Dashi (such as HON Dashi) (optional)
- 1/4 cup Shiro (white) miso paste
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 8 ounces Tofu, extra-firm, cubed
- 1 Bundle dried Soba Noodles (approx 3.25 ounces)
- Bring 4 cups of water to a simmer along with scallion tops (green), 2 smashed garlic cloves, ginger, sliced lemongrass and instant dashi (if using). Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook soba noodles according to package directions or until al dente (approximately 6 minutes), drain and set aside.
- Drain broth base through a fine sieve and return to pot. Bring back up to a low simmer and add carrots, half of sliced scallions and bok choy. Simmer for 10 minutes, add mushrooms and cook additional 5 minutes.
- Add soy sauce.
- Turn off heat and stir in miso paste until fully combined.
- Place soba noodles in large bowls along with cubed tofu and a large pinch of scallions. Ladle soup on top of the noodles, tofu and scallions. Enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe