If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a really tasty, filling, very low carb twist on an old English classic, which can be served hot or cold and can be twisted in a couple of ways.
This recipe can be expanded up to serve as many as you like but it's a brilliant recipe for one and makes an amazing lunch box treat. If I'm taking it to work, I use canned fish and carry it separately and mix it as I am about to eat. It keeps everything fresher. —Clare Cooney
grams raw cauliflower
tablespoon toasted sesame oil
teaspoon Garam masala or any curry powder you like
spring onions / scallions
grams flaked almonds
grams seeds - hemp hearts are nice or nigella seeds. Optional but adds flavour.
hard boiled egg.
fillet of smoked haddock, a smoked mackerel fillet or small tin of mackerel in olive oil - add a little smoked paprika if you want to make it taste smokey.
sprig cilantro / coriander or parsley
- First, put your egg(s) on to boil. I cook for around 7 minutes to get a slightly creamy, not to hard boiled result but do yours as you like.
- If using smoked haddock, poach it for a few minutes in a little milk until it is flaking nicely. (I'd keep the milk and add it to a soup on another occasion - or give it your dog or cat, they'll love you for it).
- Next, make your cauli cous-cous. You'll need a food processor. Add your florets to the bowl (don't overfill it, do it in batches if need be) and pulse until you have fine small pieces the size of cous-cous.
- Melt your butter gently in a pan and add the spice to it.
- Tip in the cauliflower, season with the salt and stir to mix
- Cook over a low to medium heat for a few minutes. If it seems a little dry, add a small amount of water and keep stirring until it had all been absorbed.
- If serving the dish cold, put to one side and allow to cool.
- In a separate pan, toast your almonds and seeds on a low heat for jus along enough to give them a touch of colour. Add to the cauliflower.
- Chop your egg, scallions and herbs.
- Drizzle the sesame oil over and lightly turn the mixture to combine everything.
- Flake the fish of your choice over the top and mix the top gently.