If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This Cheesy Vegan Rutabaga Casserole features a dairy-free cheese sauce creating a savory, cheesy winter casserole. —Rachel (Simple Seasonal)
- 3 rutabagas/approximately 1 1/2 lbs
- 1 lb sweet potatoes
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 C vegetable broth
- 1 C raw cashews
- 1 C roasted red peppers (approx 2 whole)
- 1/2 C nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- olive oil cooking spray
- parsley for garnish
- The night before you plan on making this recipe soak your cashews in water so that they are completely submerged. Overnight they will become soft and plump.
- Coarsely cut kale and sauté in a skillet over medium heat by adding 1 C of vegetable broth to the pan instead of oil. Cook until the vegetable broth has evaporated and the kale is wilted, then set aside.
- Dice onions and sauté in a pan with 2 Tbsp of water until onions begin to soften and the water is evaporated, then remove from heat.
- Drain the water from the cashews. Using a hand mixer, puree the cashews, red pepper, and the nutritional yeast together.
- Mix (by hand) thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper into your dairy free cheese sauce. Thinly slice rutabagas and sweet potatoes into 1/8 inch coins. You can do this using a knife or a mandolin slicer.
- Now all of your ingredients are prepped. Lightly spray a 2.5 quart casserole dish with olive oil cooking spray and place your prepped ingredients within reach.
- Imagine dividing your dairy-free sauce into thirds. Spread the first third onto the bottom of your casserole dish. Then build layers as follows: rutabagas, onions, sweet potatoes, kale, cheese sauce, then again - rutabaga, onion, sweet potato, and the remainder of the cheese sauce.
- Bake the casserole in a 350º F oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the casserole is fork-tender.
- Allow the casserole to rest for 10 minutes before serving and then sprinkle with minced parsley.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe