If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Autumn's around the corner - get some comforting flavours and scents into your kitchen with this fruit and vegetable cake. Beetroot, zucchini, carrots and apple celebrate the finest in-between seasons combined with wholegrains and natural sweeteners. —Sabrina
Makes 1 cake
For the cake base
- 1 apple
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1 carrot
- 1 small zucchini
- 100 grams honey or agave
- 60 grams coconut oil or butter
- 150 milliliters milk (use plant based if vegan)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 250 grams whole spelt flour (can be substituted with whole wheat or all-purpose)
- 25 grams ground nuts
- 25 grams desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
For the crumble topping
- 1 apple
- 100 grams oats
- 5 tablespoons mixed nuts and/or seeds
- 1 pinch salt
- 100 grams flour
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave
- 40 grams coconut oil or butter
- Prepare the cake base: mix apple and raisins in a microwave safe bowl, cover with water and microwave on high for 2.5 minutes. Alternatively heat in a small saucepan until soft. Puree with a food processor or blender. Set aside to cool.
- Wash and grate the carrot and zucchini, mix with 1 tsp salt and set aside. Grate the beetroot into a separate bowl.
- Preheat your oven to 175°C. In a medium sized mixing bowl beat together coconut oil and honey for 2 minutes until pale. Add 1 pinch salt, milk vinegar and the applesauce. Stir until combined. In a seperate bowl mix all remaining dry ingredients. Lift dry into the wet ingredients. You may need to add a little more milk until batter is moist yet not runny. Line the bottom of an 8 inch springform pan with parchment paper. Spread batter into your pan.
- Now prepare your topping: combine all ingredients except for the apple until crumbly dough forms. Peel and core the apple, cut into thin wedges and layer on top of your cake base. Top with the crumble.
- ake for 35-45 minutes until crumble topping is slightly browned, apples are soft and a cake tester inserted comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan and allow for further cooling or serve immediately. Best stored in the fridge wrapped in aluminium foil or in an airtight container (mine kept for up to a week). Freezes well. Enjoy!