If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a riff on the traditional South Indian Lemon Rice recipe. Lemon rice is usually a lunch staple but this dish is pretty versatile . You can have it for breakfast , lunch or dinner or a small portion as a post workout recovery snack.
I substituted quinoa to increase the protein for a fulfilling lunch. Pair it with a cucumber raita or yogurt and make a big batch for lunch or dinner —Kris
- 2 cups quinoa ( dry)
- 2 tablespoons oil divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon curry leaves ( chopped in ribbons) - leave it out if hard to find
- 1-2 serrano chillies each slit into 4
- 1-2 lemon juiced ( add juice a tablespoon at a time)
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 fresh or frozen mixed vegetables ( peas, carrots, green beans)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger or ginger paste ( optional but highly recommended)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves or parsley to garnish ( optional)
- Start with the tadka ( tempering ) : Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick pan on medium high and add mustard seeds and cover . Once the mustard seeds have spluttered , reduce the heat to medium and add the cumin seeds. Once they have crackled , add the green chillies and curry leaves and stir.
- Add the ginger and stir until cooked. Then add the mixed vegetables and turmeric and stir well.
- Add another tablespoon of oil and cook the vegetables till almost tender. You can check by trying to cut it with the spoon
- Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Then add the quinoa. Cover and cook till it is done, stirring in between
- Add water according to cooking instructions of the quinoa you are using.
- turn off the heat when the quinoa is almost done and leave it covered for 10-15 minutes. Fluff and serve.