Author Notes: I wanted to bring a flourless chocolate cake to Passover seder this evening so I consulted my favorite website: Food52. I chose Jestei's Flourless chocolate cake for its sheer abundance, and Chez Us' Cardamom Orange Flourless Chocolate Cake because I love those flavors together. I made a couple of minor tweaks, and I covered the cake with fresh organic raspberries--mostly because when I took the cake apart it cracked and I had to cover it. It turns out that raspberries, chocolate, orange and cardamom is a combination that can't be beat. Serve with a little softly whipped heavy cream. —drbabs
- 8 ounces good bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
- zest of one large orange
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pints raspberries, rinsed and drained on paper towels till dry
- Put rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350. Generously butter 9 inch springform pan. Line bottom with parchment paper and butter paper.
- Chop chocolate in small pieces and melt with butter in bowl over pan of simmering water, stirring frequently until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in sugars. Let cool for 5 minutes, then add egg yolks, one at a time. Sift cocoa over chocolate mixture and whisk to combine. Whisk in cardamom, orange zest and vanilla extract till just combined.
- In standing mixer, beat egg whites at high speed with salt until peaks form but are not yet stiff. Gently fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into pan and bake 35-40 min or until cake forms thin crust on top. Remove before its sides move from pan. Let cool on wire rack and gently remove the rim of the pan. Serve from cake pan. (Trust me on this one. Jestei has instructions for removing the cake from the pan, but when I tried it, the cake nearly fell apart.) Cover cake with raspberries before serving.
- Thanks to jestei and chez us for two great recipes!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom