If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This gluten-free Cheddar and Broccoli Skillet Chicken Sheppard’s Pie recipe would be a wonderful addition to your Thanksgiving table. Chicken, broccoli and green peas create a hearty filling for this skillet recipe that warms your soul. The secret behind Shepard's pie is the broth-based sauce. —Plating Pixels
Homemade Creamy Mashed Potato Topping
- 5 pounds Russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into thick slices
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 4 pieces garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Shepherd's Pie Filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 piece large white onion, chopped
- 3 pieces garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (gluten-free)
- 2 cups fresh (or frozen) broccoli, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Peel and cut potatoes into roughly 1-inch cubes. Place potatoes and 1-teaspoon salt in a large pot and fill with water to completely cover potatoes (leave at least 1-inch from top to prevent over boiling). Stir and place on high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, continue to boil for 15-20 minutes. Potatoes should be tender and a knife inserted should easily cut through. Remove from heat and drain.
- Place cooked potatoes in a large bowl. Add butter, mash or mix together. Add sour cream, milk, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix together until combined, fluffy and smooth.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 400º F. Heat olive oil in large cast-iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, sauté 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until opaque white and just cooked through.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, chicken stock and broccoli. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes to thicken. Stir in frozen peas and cook 1-2 minutes more to defrost. Remove from heat.
- Evenly spread mashed potatoes on top of filling. Use as much as you’d like, but it should be at least ½ inch thick and go to the edges. This creates that nice layer effect and keeps the sauce in while preventing it from boiling over. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake 30 minutes at 400º, until pie is warm and cheese is bubbly. Optional: broil on high for 3-5 minutes and brown top. Remove and place skillet on cooling rack. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes to thicken before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Family's Best Thanksgiving Recipe