If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sheila Lukins and Julee Rosso's mashed potatoes have a cult following, though it's unclear whether this is due to their ease, their make-ahead friendliness, or the three kinds of dairy (butter, sour cream, and cream cheese). Adapted slightly from Silver Palate Cookbook (Workman Publishing Company, 2007) —Food52
- 9 large baking potatoes (about 5 pounds), peeled and diced
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the diced potatoes in a large saucepan and add water to cover. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer over medium heat until tender. Drain.
- Place the potatoes in a mixer bowl. Cut the butter and cream cheese into small pieces and add to the potatoes. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in sour cream. Season with the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or reheat in a buttered casserole at 300° F for 20 minutes, if you want to prepare them in advance.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!