If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A wholesome pumpkin loaf paired alongside a maple-kissed spread made with artisan cheese and cultured butter. It's a healthy breakfast or a hearty dessert. Loosely adapted from Cookie + Kate. —Erika Kubick
Makes 1 loaf
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, gently melted
- 1/4 cup kefir
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/4 cups cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted pepitas
Maple Cheese Spread
- 5 ounces fresh cheese
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease your loaf pan with a bit of butter.
- In a large bowl, beat together the oil and syrup. Add eggs and beat until no strings of egg white remain. Whisk in the pumpkin puree, kefir and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, flour, and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, and fold together in about twelve strokes. Do not over stir.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with turbinado sugar and pepitas.
- Bake for 55 - 60 minutes. Be sure to use a clean butter knife to test for doneness. If the knife pulls out clean, you're good to go. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- While the bread is cooling, beat together the frosting ingredients until smooth.
- Cut into generously thick slices. and serve with heavy smearing of cheese butter.