If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Here’s how this salad goes down: you begin by shredding kale and massaging it until softened. Slices of sweet-tart apple go in next, followed by crunchy Parmesan chips (also known as frico), which provide the salad with a strong umami note. A creamy and nutty tahini dressing ties all the elements together to create a highly satisfying, delicious and healthful salad. —Alexandra Shytsman
cup Grated Parmesan cheese
bunch Lacinato kale, stemmed, shredded
Large tart apple, cored, thinly sliced into halfmoons
Small garlic clove, finely minced
tablespoons Lemon juice
Pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, place tablespoon-full mounds of Parmesan cheese about 2″ apart. Gently press on each mound with your hand to form disk shapes. Bake until cheese is melted and chips are golden brown around the edges, 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, place kale in a large bowl and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Knead kale with your hands (like you would bread) until it begins to soften and wilt a little, about 2 minutes.
- Break Parmesan chips into bite-size pieces and add to kale, along with apple.
- In a small bowl, whisk together tahini, garlic, lemon juice, water, 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Taste and season with salt or lemon juice, if needed. If dressing is too think, add a tablespoon more water.
- Toss salad with just enough dressing to lightly coat the leaves. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Sesame