Author Notes: This sweet and savory side dish with bacon and pine nuts will challenge even the most hardened brussels sprout skeptics at your table. —Rachel (Simple Seasonal)
pieces uncured bacon
pounds brussels sprouts
cup raw pine nuts
salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
In This Recipe
- Cook 4 pieces of bacon over medium-high heat in a large pan until they are crispy and golden brown. Place them on a plate, dab them with a paper towel to remove any excess grease, and set aside.
- While the bacon is cooking, rinse the brussels sprouts, cut off the ends, and then cut them into shreds. To do this, it's easiest to cut them in half lengthwise and then slice them as if you're slicing an onion.
- Turn the heat down to medium, and reserve approximately 1 Tbsp of bacon grease. Add the shaved brussels sprouts to the pan and sauté until they are tender.
- Add the pine nuts to the pan, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook 1 more minute until the pine nuts are heated through.
- Remove the pan from the heat and crumble the bacon over the brussels sprouts before servi