If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Put down the takeout menu and the forlorn look of someone settling for second best. Today we recreate the real thing: Panda Express' orange chicken. —Kendra Vaculin
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 to 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch (or potato starch), divided
- canola (or other neutral oil) oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- Whisk 2 tablespoons soy sauce, wine, ginger, and garlic together in a large bowl. Add the cubed chicken and marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Using a large slotted spoon, move the chicken cubes from the marinade into a new bowl, leaving the remaining liquid behind. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cornstarch over the chicken and mix slightly to coat.
- In a large pot over medium-high, heat 1/4 to 1/3 inch of canola oil . Working in batches, add chicken cubes in a single layer and fry, turning occasionally, until well browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes total. Move to a paper towel-lined large plate or baking sheet to drain. Cubes will be crunchy looking nuggets of magic. Resist urge to eat them all from the baking sheet.
- In a small pot or saucepan over medium heat, mix remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, honey, orange juice, marmalade, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. In a small bowl, mix remaining tablespoon cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water together to form a slurry. Bring orange sauce mixture to low boil, and add some of the slurry, a spoonful at a time, while whisking, to thicken the sauce. Remove from heat once thickened.
- Toss chicken cubes in the sauce in a large bowl. Serve with rice and broccoli like the homemade takeout queen you ARE.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!