If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Gobi Mussallam is a very tasty dish for a crowd and also the presentation is like a show stopper for a party. Usually I prefer to make it for a crowd. But you can always make it for two people and have leftovers. Leave out the yogurt to make it vegan. Instead use more cashews nut paste. —PistachioDoughnut
- 1 big head of cauliflower
- pinch of salt
- pinches turmeric powder
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup cashew nuts soaked in water
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chili powder or paprika
- 2 tsp - 3 tsp tandoori spice mix
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium diced onion
- 1 tomato diced
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- cilantro for garnish
- raisins or sultanas garnish
- pinch of sugar
- Cut the stem of the cauliflower only the little bit of tough part but keep it as whole in the shape. Take a big pot of boiling water with pinch of salt and turmeric powder on medium heat and keep the whole cauliflower to blanch for about 10 minutes or until it is soft but not extremely mushy. It should retain the shape while marinading it. Remove it in colander and let it sit for sometime.
- To make the paste for the marinade , take some oil in pan , add ginger garlic and onions and saute them for some time until translucent. Then add in the tomatoes and let them release their juices. add salt to taste. add pinch of sugar to balance out the acidity from the tomatoes. Add in the tandoori spice mix, red chili powder. Remove water from the soaked cashews nuts and add the cashews to the tomato mix. In few seconds, turn off the stove, let it cool a little bit and blend it in a blender. Keep 1/4 gravy aside. Take it back on the pan and let it simmer for about few minutes 5 minutes.Add a little bit water if it is too thick.
- Take the other half of the gravy in a bowl, add in the yogurt mix and mix it well with a whisk.
- Pre heat oven at 350 F and place the cauliflower in a baking tray with edges ofcourse to cook for about 45-50 minutes until the marinade looks cooked and the cauli is done. Remove it and serve it as it garnished with sultanas and cilantro.
- Serve it as it is , you can remove it from the baking dish or serve it in the same dish. It is upto you.Use a pie cutter to cut pieces or let people serve themselves. I would also serve the rest of the 1/4 cooked gravy that we had kept on the side. It will be good to have it on the side may be in gravy boat to pour over extra when you cut the cauliflower and the middle part will not have enough marinade.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Show-Stopping Holiday Main