Inspired by my Grandma Lola's traditional cornbread stuffing.
Inspired by my Grandma Lola's traditional cornbread stuffing.—Amy Hebert
loaf of French bread
pan of cornbread
tablespoons fresh sage
tablespoons fresh thyme
cups large yellow onions
small green apples
cups celery ribs
cups vegetable or mushroom broth
salt to taste
pepper to taste
In This Recipe
- Cut bread into 1 inch cubes & set aside in a large bowl to stale for 1-2 days.
- Prep your cooking ingredients - dice the yellow onion, dice the green apples, dice the celery ribs & mince the herbs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the herbs to the bread cubes & toss with your hands.
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan
- Sauté the onion, celery & apple until tender.
- Pour the buttery mixture over the bread cubes & stir until the bread cubes are well covered.
- Gradually pour broth over the bread cubes 1 cup at a time & stir until the bread cubes are well saturated.
- Add more herbs, salt or pepper to taste.
- Transfer stuffing to a buttered casserole dish & cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes & then uncover for a final 10-15 minutes to crisp the surface.