Inspired by my Grandma Lola's traditional cornbread stuffing. —Amy Hebert
- Serves 8-10
loaf of French bread
pan of cornbread
large yellow onions
small green apples
vegetable or mushroom broth
salt to taste
pepper to taste
In This Recipe
- Cut bread into 1 inch cubes & set aside in a large bowl to stale for 1-2 days.
- Prep your cooking ingredients - dice the yellow onion, dice the green apples, dice the celery ribs & mince the herbs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the herbs to the bread cubes & toss with your hands.
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan
- Sauté the onion, celery & apple until tender.
- Pour the buttery mixture over the bread cubes & stir until the bread cubes are well covered.
- Gradually pour broth over the bread cubes 1 cup at a time & stir until the bread cubes are well saturated.
- Add more herbs, salt or pepper to taste.
- Transfer stuffing to a buttered casserole dish & cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes & then uncover for a final 10-15 minutes to crisp the surface.