If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by my Grandma Lola's traditional cornbread stuffing. —Amy Hebert
- 1 loaf of French bread
- 1 pan of cornbread
- 5 tablespoons fresh sage
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups large yellow onions
- 2 small green apples
- 2 cups celery ribs
- 2 cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Cut bread into 1 inch cubes & set aside in a large bowl to stale for 1-2 days.
- Prep your cooking ingredients - dice the yellow onion, dice the green apples, dice the celery ribs, mince the herbs & whisk the egg.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the herbs to the bread cubes & toss with your hands.
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan
- Sauté the onion, celery & apple until tender.
- Pour the buttery mixture over the bread cubes & stir until the bread cubes are well covered.
- Gradually pour broth over the bread cubes 1 cup at a time & stir until the bread cubes are well saturated.
- Add more herbs, salt or pepper to taste.
- Transfer stuffing to a buttered casserole dish & cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes & then uncover for a final 10-15 minutes to crisp the surface.