If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Polenta is such a fantastic family meal! It's versatility and ability to serve many for very little makes it ideal! Traditionally an Italian peasant food, polenta has enjoyed a modern day makeover! Wild mushrooms and fennel give this meal a delicious flavor profile brought out by the nutty browned butter and sage! —Fresh Foodie Mama
- 4 cups Water
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 cups Polenta
- 1/2 cup Cheese Shredded (mozzarella, muenster work well)
- 1 pound Wild Mushrooms (shiitake, oyster, etc.)
- 1 Fennel bulb sliced thin
- 4 Sage Leaves
- 1 1/2 Sticks of Organic Valley Butter
- 2 Cloves of Garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- In a large pot bring milk, water, cream and 1 tsp salt to a boil over medium heat. Slowly pour in the polenta and whisk until fully combined. Simmer 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, place a half stick of butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Allow butter to get foamy while constantly stirring until brown color and butter becomes fragrantly nutty. Pour mixture into polenta pot and stir to combine. Place remains stick of butter in saute pan, add garlic and sage leaves. Again, allow butter to get foamy, brown and fragrant. Add fennel, mushrooms, and remaining salt and pepper. Cook until fennel is tender. Serve over polenta and top with optional Romano cheese.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Brown Butter