Author Notes: My little kids love gnocchi, I give them gnocchi, and one day I proudly served them these , quite sure they´d love the orange color and sweetish flavor. What can I say, they didn´t. But us grown-ups enjoyed them pretty much lately. —Sabine
grams sweet potato ( 1 large)
grams AP flour, + some more for working
teaspoon approx. freshly ground nutmeg
pinch fleur de sel
grams salted butter
small leaves of fresh sage
small handful coarsely chopped walnuts
- Peel sweet potato and cut into chunks.
- Cook in lightly salted boiling water until tender.
- Drain water and mash potato with a fork. Dry out the mash over very low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Set aside to cool completely, at least 1-2 hours or overnight.
- In a bowl, mix sweet potato mash with flour, egg, salt and ground nutmeg.Mix well to obtain a somewhat sticky dough.
- Cook batches of 10-20 (depending on the size of your pot) in boiling, lightly salted water until the gnocchi appear on the top, 1-2 minutes. Keep warm on a plate, drizzle with brown butter prepared as follows:
- In a small saucepan, melt butter, then add chopped walnuts and sage leaves. Fry for a few minutes over low to medium heat, until the butter solids turn brown, and sage/walnuts are crispy. While doing so, give the pan an occasional stir or swirl. Drizzle gnocchi with the brown butter and serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Brown Butter