If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe comes from Gavin Kaysen, the executive chef of Spoon and Stable in Minneapolis, MN. —Food52
- 2 one-pound lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup small dice onion
- 1 cup small dice celery
- 1 cup small dice carrot
- 1 bouquet garni including: thyme, parsely, bay leaf, rosemary—tied together
- 2 cups red wine
- 6 cups veal stock
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
- Using a large pot, sear the lamb in oil over medium high heat on all sides until dark and caramelized all over.
- Add onion, celery, and carrot, and bouquet garni, and sweat for 5 minutes.
- Deglaze with red wine, and reduce the liquid by 3/4.
- Add veal stock and cover.
- Place in oven until tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove shanks and let rest, strain liquid and reduce by half.
Garbanzo Beans, Apricots, Sweet Potatoes, and Eggplant & Mint Salad
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 carrot, diced large
- 12 whole, dried apricots
- 2 cups garbanzo beans (soaked in water overnight)
- 5 cups veal stock
- 1 bouquet garni including: parsely, thyme, black peppercorns, leek greens—wrapped in cheesecloth
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, diced large
- 1 cup eggplant, diced large
- Mint, parsely, orange zest, and olive oil for an herb salad
- Using a medium-sized pot, sweat garlic, onions, carrots, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil until translucent, with no color.
- Add the apricots and soaked beans.
- Cover with veal stock and add bouquet garni.
- Cover and slowly simmer until beans are tender, about one hour. Drain.
- In two separate pans, cook sweet potatoes and eggplant in 1 tablespoon of oil, season to taste.
- Combine sweet potatoes and eggplant into cooked beans, and check seasoning.
- Serve braised lamb shanks on a bed of garbanzo bean and vegetable mixture, and garnish with a salad mixture of mint, parsley, orange zest, and olive oil.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!