If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a dish is mentioned in Game of Thrones (the books), by George RR Martin. Others have done this as a salad, but I did it as a twist on braised collard greens. I was surprised how harmonious these ingredients are together. This was a hit with pork chops and white beans with tasso. —Eric W
bunch collard greens
apple suitable for baking or sauces
ounces pine nuts
cup vegetable or chicken broth
tablespoon olive oil
yellow onion (optional)
- Toast the pine nuts on a baking sheet in a 375-degree oven until golden brown, checking often, about 5-10 minutes.
- Wash, de-stem and cut or tear the collard greens into 2-inch pieces. Should be 4-6 cups. Chop the onion.
- Heat the oil in a 10-inch pan. If using onion, cook until the onion is soft.
- Add the greens in handfuls and stir, letting each handful cook down until all the greens are in the pan.
- Add the broth and cover. Let the greens cook until they begin to soften, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the greens are cooking, chop the apple into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Add the apple to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are tender and the apples are just slightly softened. If it seems like the greens are too wet, remove the cover to let more liquid evaporate.
- Salt to taste.
- Add the toasted pine nuts over the top and serve.