If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you are awesome and like split peas.. you will freaking love this casserole.
I could eat it everyday!
Note… I used the veggie that I had on hand. So say you don’t like parsnips, don’t use them or want to add celery, go for it. Just make sure to have at about 4-5 cups of chopped up veggies.
- 3/4 cup dried split peas
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons italian spice blend
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion
- 1/4 small head of cabbage
- 3 small white potato
- 1 big parsnip
- Take all the spices and mix them together. Dice onion into little pieces and stick into a big heavy bottom pot with half of the spice blend, the bay leaf, a few pinches of salt and pepper, and a splash of water. Stick on stove and cook for a few minutes until water evaporates and the onions are fragrant and starting to soften. Now dump in the dried peas and 3-1/2 cups water. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and place a lid on the pot. Cook the peas, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes of until falling apart.
- In the mean time, dice up the veggies (leave one potato to top with)into mouth sized chunks and stick them in either a casserole dish or a 12-inch oven safe skillet. Mix in the other half of the spice blend
- Preheat oven to 375 Once the split peas are done, take the pot and dump into the chopped veggies and mix around. Take remaining potato and slice thinly. Top the casserole with thin slices of potato and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stick that bad boy into the oven.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until the potatoes are crispy and the peas have thickened. Remove from oven, let rest for a few minutes, and serve it on up!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Thing You Ate This Year