If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This one literally cleaned out my fridge after Thanksgiving. Everything was just staring at me from inside their plastic containers. The only part that had to be cooked from it’s raw state was the bacon, but that’s perfectly ok, since I needed the rendered drippings to make a roux. So here it is, my “Thanksgiving Leftovers Mini Pot Pie Bites” —Jodi Taffel
Makes 30 appetizer bites
- 3 slices leftover uncooked Bacon
- 1 tablespoon leftover All-Purpose Flour (from all that holiday baking!)
- 2 cups leftover Half & Half
- 1 cup leftover grated Gruyere Cheese
- 1 cup leftover roasted Turkey (white or dark meat, no skin)
- 1 cup leftover roasted Butternut Squash
- 1/2 cup leftover sautéed Mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground leftover Nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons leftover Sherry
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (15 count) boxes leftover pre-made mini Phyllo Shells
- Chop the Bacon roughly and cook it in a saucepan set over medium heat until almost crisp.
- Remove bacon from the pan and set aside.
- Add the Flour to the rendered bacon fat and cook until light amber and the texture of wet sand. (Depending on how fatty your bacon was you might need a bit more or less flour. Just make sure it’s in equal measure to the bacon fat.)
- Add the Half and Half and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the Gruyere Cheese and stir until its thoroughly melted.
- Chop the Turkey, Butternut Squash and Mushrooms all to roughly the same size (about the size of a pea).
- Fold the Turkey, Butternut Squash, Mushrooms, Nutmeg, Sherry and reserved Bacon in to the sauce. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- 8. Spoon the mixture into the mini Phyllo Shells and serve. ***The shells come pre-cooked so heating them isn't necessary. But you can pop the filled shells into a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes if you want The whole thing piping hot. I, personally, don't find that a necessary step though.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe that Cleans Out the Fridge