If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This one is for all mushroom and cheese lovers. Crunchy buttery bread, umami mushrooms and gooey melted cheese remind me of some sort of magical grilled cheese sandwich. Can be served on top of lightly dressed greens, or on it's own. —Ivorygalny
For the mushroom mixture
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter,
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots or green onions
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms, cleaned up and sliced. shiitake work well.
- 2-3 tablespoons cognac
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- Melt 8 tablespoons of butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots and cook for a few minutes until garlic is soft. Add the mushrooms and all purpose flour and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add cognac to pan and let it evaporate. Add cream, mascarpone, and ricotta and let simmer and thicken for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6-8 slices baguette or other chewy bread
- 1 robiola cheese, cut into square inch pieces
- 6-8 teaspoons good quality mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- 6 pieces basil leaves, chopped
- optional truffle oil
- Melt the butter in a skillet and wait until it starts to foam. But the sliced bread into the pan, and cook on low heat. Check it, and flip it over when it's browned. Brown the alternate side. Remove to serving plate.
- To assemble: Spread a teaspoon of mayonnaise on each slice of bread. Layer with robiola cheese, spreading it to the edges, and then top with the mushroom mixture. Top with a sprinkling of basil and a drizzle of truffle oil if desired. Serve warm.
- NB: If you cannot find Robiola cheese, this would work with another soft brie-like cheese. Taleggio, Pierre Robert would be great.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Appetizer to Share with Friends
More Great Recipes: