If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Spice up the classic chicken soup with turmeric and ginger. —Sarah | Wisconsin from Scratch
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Shallot, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons Finely grated ginger
- 1 Finely chopped chile pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Ground turmeric (or 1 Tbsp finely grated fresh turmeric)
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- ⅓ cups Long grain rice
- 2 cups Chicken broth
- 1 Medium chicken breast
- 1 Can light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Fish sauce
- 4 ounces Fresh spinach
- Chile flakes for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add garlic, shallot, ginger, chile, turmeric, and salt and cook, stirring often, until soft and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring often, until rice is well coated and shiny, about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and the chicken breast. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook, covered, until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 12-15 min.
- Remove chicken from pot, and shred using two forks. Return shredded chicken to the pot, along with the coconut milk, lime juice, and fish sauce. Season to taste with additional salt if needed.
- Increase heat and bring soup just to a boil, then reduce heat to low once more and stir in the spinach until just wilted. Ladle into bowls and serve. Top with chile flakes for extra heat if desired.