If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My chicken chili is regularly requested for parties. I wanted to recreate the same flavors in a dish that would be easier to transport. These tacos are the result. They have as popular as the original chili recipe. They're easy to make and people love the "chicken chili" flavor, and are great for using up leftover chicken. —Leith Devine
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts OR an equal amount of leftover chickenl
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground dried garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 cans chopped green chilis, depending on spicy you like it
- 1 can white beans (great northern or cannelini), chopped
- 1 packet taco shells or soft corn tortillas, your preferene
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1 packet queso fresca, crumbled or jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup mild salsa, pureed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- sour cream, to taste
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 bunch lettuce, chopped
- 2 sliced jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- To cook chicken, boil water in a medium pan. When the water comes to a full boil, add chicken and bring water back to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes, then shut off heat and cover tightly. Leave chicken in the hot water for 30 minutes. Check chicken with a thermometer to ensure temperature is at 165 degrees. Drain and shred chicken with 2 forks into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine cumin, coriander, garlic, dried cilantro, cayenne and salt and pepper.
- Chop the onion and saute with green chilis in olive oil until soft. Add spice blend and toast spices. Add the shredded chicken and chopped white beans. Combine thoroughly, warm through and set aside.
- Salsa Aioli: Puree salsa (I use mild, but adjust spiciness to your taste) in a food processor. Add to mayonnaise and stir to combine.
- Serve chicken mixture in taco shells or corn tortillas with fresh chopped avocados, cheese, sour cream, chopped tomato, lettuce, sliced jalapenos and fresh cilantro. Top with salsa aioli.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Appetizer to Share with Friends