If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's no secret that my favorite food is pizza. I've made my stance on the issue pretty clear. Perhaps a little too clear, in fact. Well, I won't go that far, as my outspoken pizza adoration has led to some pretty fabulous things like my colleagues drawing pizzas on my office door for my birthday, or my best friend sending me pizza as an engagement gift, or Jamie bringing a Ziplock bag of pizza to my office when I've had a rough day. What I'm saying is that pizza has really been there for me in all of life's special moments. And for that, I am forever grateful.
That also may be the reason my New Year's resolution meals this year seem to all taste like pizza. I'm not sure if my subconscious is taking the wheel to stave off a bout of seasonal affective disorder or if it's a knee-jerk act of defiance when faced with too many green juice ads on Instagram, but either way, almost everything I've cooked since January 1 (when it wasn't pizza itself) has been a cousin of my favorite pies, dressed as something "healthier."
This soup is no exception. I love a spicy, leafy, cheesy Italian Sausage and Broccoli Rabe pizza, and with the addition of the creamy, starchy white beans, a Parmesan-infused broth, and a rabe/kale swap out, a spoonful of this is almost like taking a bite out of the real thing. But with all that nutrient-rich, life coach-approved kale, we can just decide here and now that it counts as resolution-friendly. Plus, this soup comes together in less than half an hour, so you can get back to your Making a Murderer binge in record time. —Claire Storrs
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 links hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bunch kale, washed and torn
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 Parmesan rind
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- grated Parmesan, for topping
- Soften onion in olive oil over medium heat in a large pot, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add sausage and brown, breaking into pieces as it cooks.
- Once browned, pour in Worcestershire sauce and use to scrape browned bits off bottom of pan.
- Add the beans and kale, season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, Italian herbs, and red pepper flakes, and stir together.
- Add apple cider vinegar, and cook until kale is wilted and liquid is cooked off.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add Parmesan rind, cover, and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Top with additional Parmesan and serve.