If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This dish is really easy to make and is perfect for batch cooking or student meal menus. Although vegan, the braised sauerkraut with beans has been thoroughly enjoyed, might I even say loved, by the biggest meat-lovers I know (they even asked for seconds). My favourite way to eat it is as my main dish, serving it over a couple scoops of quinoa, but it is very suitable as a side dish as well. —Monica
Makes 8 l
- 8 cups sauerkraut (either colour, I used purple)
- 3 cups dried beans (any type, mix and match!)
- 1 onion (I used red)
- 1/2 cup dried mushrooms (I used chanterelles, but any will work)
- 2 heads of garlic
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1/2-1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoons pepper
- Soak beans overnight, then cook until tender
- Rehydrate the dried mushrooms then slice into small pieces
- Melt fat in large pot and saute onion and garlic
- Add sauerkraut, beans and mushrooms, and simmer on low for about 10 minutes
- Add herbs, salt and pepper, and simmer for another 10 minutes