If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There are many complex Chechouka variations found in most Middle Eastern countries This is the simplest version I have seen, where the flavor profile is simply garlic and tomato. There are no exotic ingredients or spices and it is ready in a snap! —LE BEC FIN
4 stacked sheets of filo, covered with a damp kitchen towel to keep from drying out
2 ounces melted unsalted butter
1 cup halved grape or cherry tomato (or, in season, ripe Roma tomatoes) chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
4 large eggs
1 Tablespoon heavy cream
Kosher Salt and Fresh Coarsely Ground Pepper
dollop of plain Greek yoghurt, on the side
- FORM FILO CUPS: Choose a form, like a 4" wide ramekin, and turn two of them upside down on a sheet pan.Spray or butter their outsides. Place four stacked filo sheets flat and horizontal, in front of you. Lightly brush melted butter on the left half of the top sheet, beginning with the edge and swiping lightly in the middle. Fold over the right side of the top sheet , lift and place over the ramekin, pinching it in to hug the ramekin. Lightly butter it. Repeat with the next filo sheet, placing it crosswise from the first, crimping and brushing with butter. Make one more shell. Bake at 350 degrees F 10-15 minutes til medium brown. Pop off the form and place on serving plate. (This can be done earlier.) http://www.athensfoods.com/phyllo-shapes-instructions/how-to-make-phyllo-blossoms/#.VqWegE_oHfU
- Saute garlic in medium hot oil for a few minutes, making sure not to brown it. Increase heat to high and add tomatoes, sizzling and stirring til deflated and cooked down, ~ 5 minutes. Turn heat to low.
- (At this point, guests should be at table with everything they need.) Place serving plates by the stove with a filo shell upright on each. Whisk eggs thoroughly with cream and seasoning. Now pour in eggs to tomatoes, let sit ~ 20 seconds, then stir and fold quickly and remove from heat just before they are finished. They should be moist but not gooey.
- Lift eggs into filo cups and serve with some plain Greek Yoghurt on the side. * 'For Pretty' option- place 2 bacon strips like rabbit ears- on the inside edge of the tart.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Tart