If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I created this tart, I began with a filling I love from an '80's era Boston bistro. I paired the filling with a not-very-sweet crust, adapted from an Oatcake recipe by Molly Watson, made with whole wheat flour,wheat germ, and oats, for a textured contrast with the creamy filling and chewy candied ginger. While you could easily top it with poached fruit, I wanted to keep the flavors simple for this one (though I did sneak in a bass note to the crust!) —LE BEC FIN
- 1 cup spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/8 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 cups minus 1/8 cup rolled oats, not Instant
- 3/4 cup demerara or turbinado sugar
- 3/4 cup (12 Tablespoons/ 1 1/2 sticks)sweet unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 tespoon Kosher salt
- 1/2- 2/3 cup optional minced prunes
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water
- Optional glaze--1 large egg fork- beaten with 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- In stand mixer with paddle, mix flour, oats, sugar and salt. Add butter and work til pea size bits. Add prunes and mix briefly to distribute them. Add water and mix briefly til all just begins to come together.
- Press dough 1/8 inch thick to cover bottom and sides of 10" tart pan. Cut the top edge flush with pan. Bake 375 degrees F for 10 minutes. (Should be slightly chewy.) Cool pan on rack. * Extra dough can be rolled out to 1/4 inch thick, cut into shapes, transferred to Silpat or parchment- covered sheet pan, and brushed with egg glaze (optional- for a shiny finish.) 12 minutes for slightly chewy. For more crisp, bake 10 minutes more at 325 degrees F.
Candied Ginger Cheesecake Filling
- 14 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup minced candied ginger
- In a stand mixer with a paddle, mix cream cheese with flour and sugar and beat just until creamy. Add the eggs, one by one, then the fresh and ground gingers. Batter should be smooth and thick. Pour into the pre-baked shell. Sprinkle with sugar and candied ginger. Bake ~ 35 minutes at 350 degrees F, til puffed and deep golden brown.
- Let cool and serve chilled or at room temp.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dried Fruit
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Tart