If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have a very funny story about these cookies.I was vacationing in one of my very fav places, Seattle, when I fell in love with "Rick's Cookies" at the newly opened Macrina's bakery. I brought 2 dozen home to Boston with me. It was not until my next year's Seattle visit that a chat with Macrina's owner revealed that Rick Katz was the cookies creator (he and she had worked together in Boston at the famously creative Lydia Shire restaurant, Biba. Rick is still a major talent and owns Picco in Boston's South End.) The recipe had been featured in Baking with Julia, AND I had actually MADE this recipe!! So why hadn't I recognized it, such that I was carting home a few dozen every year?! Well, i had omitted the apricots (I don't like apricots) but, shame on me, I didn't know that they were an invisible flavor in the cookies, but made them wonderfully moist and chewy! So now you know- don't leave out the apricots!! —LE BEC FIN
- 2 CUPS AP FLOUR
- 3 TABLESPOONS INSTANT COFFEE
- 1 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
- 1 TEASPOON KOSHER SALT
- 1/2 LB. UNSALTED BUTTER, SOFTENED
- 3/4 CUP WHITE SUGAR
- 3/4 CUP PACKED DARK BROWN SUGAR
- 2 LARGE EGGS, LIGHTLY BEATEN
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA
- 12 OUNCES BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE, CHOPPED OR BITS
- 3/4 CUP CHOPPED DRIED APRICOTS
- 1 1/2 TABLESPOONS ORANGE ZEST
- Whisk together flour through Salt. In standing mixer with paddle, cream the butter til light in color. Add white sugar 30 seconds. Add brown sugar for 30 seconds. Combine eggs with vanilla and add, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each is added. Set speed to Low, add flour gradually til all combined. Fold in chocolate through zest. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Place small scoops on parchment or silpat-lined sheet pans, 2" apart. Bake 350 degrees F 8-10 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Made with Coffee